Guidelines and Criteria for Scholarship Applicants
SNOW grants the following $500 scholarships on an annual basis:
The School Nurse Organization of Washington awards three education scholarships each year:
Carol Hoffman Scholarship, Martha Meyers Scholarship, and the Judith Maire Scholarship. These scholarships are available to nurses who are pursuing a BSN, Post Graduate Degree, Education Staff Associate (ESA) certification in school nursing or National Certification of School Nursing (NCSN).
Guidelines and Criteria for Submission of Application
- Complete the online application form by February 1st.
- Include a personal resume.
- Must be a current member of SNOW.
- Submit three (3) letters of recommendations
- one from a current or former employer
- one from other professional contact
- one personal contact.
- Submit a one page, typed essay titled “Why I Selected School Nursing as a Clinical Specialty”.
- List academic goals and educational plan.
- Each candidate will be evaluated based on financial need; academic achievement; professional
involvement; and written essay.
- Scholarship recipients will be notified one week after the scholarship application deadline
and will be announced at the SNOW Spring Conference in March.
- SNOW Scholarship recipients are ineligible to apply for another Scholarship for five (5)
completed the ESA or NCSN certifications or where they are in their pursuit of their BSN or
Post Graduate Degree. This information may be posted in the Flurries.
1. Online Application form
2. One letter of recommendation from current employer (uploaded with online form)
3. One-page typed essay (see #5 above) (uploaded with online form)
*Successful candidates will submit a follow-up letter indicating that they have attended the conference and how they are or will use the information they received. (This information may be published in the Flurries.)
*The scholarship must be used for the conference specified in the application. If the recipient is unable to attend the
conference, the money must be returned to the SNOW treasurer.
Gayle Thronson Lifetime Learners Scholarships for SNOW Conferences
The School Nurse Organization of Washington awards two Gayle Thronson Lifetime Learner Scholarships (for $250.00 each) each year. One each for the Fall and Spring Conferences. These scholarships are available to SNOW members who are employed in schools.
- Deadline for the Fall Conference is September 15.
- Deadline for the Spring Conference is February 1.
Guidelines and Criteria for Application
- Complete the application form and return the application packet to the SNOW Scholarship Chair by
September 15th for the Fall Conference and February 1st for the Spring Conference.
- Gayle Thronson Lifetime Learner, SNOW Conference Scholarship recipients are ineligible to apply for another
Conference Scholarship for five (5) years.
- Must be a current member of SNOW, employed in schools.
- Submit one (1) letter of recommendation from your current employer.
- Submit a separate one-page typed essay describing how this conference will benefit your school nurse practice and
how the information that you receive at the conference will be utilized.
- Each candidate will be evaluated based on their written essay.
- Scholarship recipients will be notified one week after the scholarship application deadlines and will be
acknowledged at the SNOW Spring and Fall Conferences.